Are you looking for a natural remedy to treat a debilitating health condition? The Iowa Medical Cannabis program may be your answer.
Iowa is now allowing retail sales of medical cannabis (high cannabidiol cannabis) at five dispensaries around the state. While medical cannabis has been legal in Iowa since 2014, this is the first time retail stores are opening up.
Cannabidiol, also known as CBD, is a compound in cannabis that does not have the psychoactive properties that get you high. Instead, CBD has been shown to help many medical conditions such as epilepsy, cancer, anxiety, chronic pain, addiction, and more. Current medical cannabis laws in Iowa allow for the use of these CBD products that have minimal to no THC, the cannabinoid that is responsible for the psychoactive effects commonly associated with cannabis.
If you are an Iowa resident with an eligible debilitating condition (see below), you can now sign up for the Iowa Medical Cannabis program.
How To Get Iowa Medical Cannabis
Ready to apply for medical cannabis in Iowa? There are four straightforward steps you’ll need to follow:
1. Download the patient registration application on the IDPH’s website.
2. Take that form to your doctor who will certify that you or your loved one has one of these eligible debilitating conditions:
- Cancer with severe or chronic pain, nausea or severe vomiting, cachexia or severe wasting.
- Crohn’s disease
- Untreatable pain that cannot be removed with generally accepted medical practices, after a range of pain management modalities appropriate for the patient have been attempted without adequate result or with intolerable side effects.
- Multiple Sclerosis with severe and persistent muscle spasms
- AIDS or HIV
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Any terminal illness which produces one or more of the following: severe or chronic pain, nausea or severe vomiting, cachexia or severe wasting.
3. When certified, submit the completed patient registration application along with the form signed by your doctor, proof that you are an Iowa resident, a valid photo ID, and $100 for a patient registration card (this cost is reduced to $25 for patients with SSI, SSDI or Medicaid). Caregiver cards are $25 and will allow a designated individual to purchase your medication for you.
4. If approved, patients or caregivers must then go to their local Department of Transportation Office to receive their registration card.
Where Can I Get Medical Cannabidiol?
Patients with valid registration cards can visit one of five cannabidiol dispensaries around the state, including two of our newest locations:
- Have a Heart Compassionate Care – 2222 E. 53rd Street, Davenport, IA 52807
- Have a Heart Compassionate Care – 3615 9th Avenue, Council Bluffs, IA 51501
Have A Heart Iowa Medical Cannabis Dispensary
At Have a Heart in Davenport, Iowa, we believe cannabidiol is one of the oldest and safest medicines available and a safer option to alcohol and prescription and illicit drugs. Our mission is to provide cannabidiol in a modern, safe, and legally compliant atmosphere. The Have a Heart mission also includes reducing crime by reducing the demand for illicit cannabis and providing employment to those in the cannabis industry.
While medical cannabis may be new to Iowa, it’s not new to Have a Heart—we’ve been selling medical cannabis since 2011. Have a Heart has expanded across the nation. We have dispensaries in Washington, Hawaii, Oregon, California, and now Iowa, with additional stores opening soon in Ohio. We’re are no strangers to providing quality cannabis product to patients and take our responsibilities as a medical cannabis retailer seriously. Have a Heart is excited to serve Iowans with the highest quality medical cannabis product and the best possible service. To skip the line, Have a Heart Davenport allows online ordering and pick up.
Our friendly and knowledgeable team of budtenders await your visit! They will answer any questions you have so you find what you need.
Bottom line? Have a Heart provides an inclusive environment where people with or without cannabis experience feel welcome. Our medical cannabis dispensary serves a wide range of customers including veterans, seniors and caregivers.
What Medical Cannabis is Available in Iowa?
As of writing, only one manufacturer—MedPharm— is permitted to supply cannabidiol products to dispensaries in Iowa.
The current allowable forms of medical cannabidiol are oral, inhalant, topical, and suppository forms that contain no more than 3% Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Have a Heart Davenport carries all of these forms except suppositories. You can easily view the Davenport dispensary online menu to see what is currently available.
Live closer to Council Bluffs? No problem, you can also see that dispensary menu online.
While Iowa’s medical cannabis laws are relatively strict, Have a Heart is hopeful that the state will liberalize laws as other states have done. Over the next two years, as a new advisory board assesses Iowa’s medical cannabis program and rolls out new information and data, it’s likely the program will be expanded.
Need help with your cannabis prescription? We know it can be hard getting started with a new medicine. Our budtenders are ready to help you find the product that will work best for your condition. Stop by our Davenport medical cannabis dispensary today!