Ah, the age-old question of cannabis: What to do when high? The effects of cannabis are many, it can make you feel relaxed, euphoric, hungry, or feeling very thoughtful and imaginative. We’re going to tackle the benefits of the latter here, and zero in activities that help you take advantage of the unique perspective enjoyed while lifted.
Scientists say the jury’s still out on the connection between cannabis and creativity. The gist is that while some studies show it causes more blood to flow to parts of the brain involved in creativity and improved divergent thinking, an aspect of creative thinking, they also show that cannabis users might be more creative to begin with due to higher scores on personality traits that infer imagination.
So while scientists don’t know why creativity is correlated with cannabis, odds are still high that you’ll probably enjoy getting creative the next time you’re wondering what to do when high.
Appreciate, Then Get to Making
Before you get rolling on your project, a word to the folks out there who feel they “aren’t creative” – sure you are! You just need to practice it, just like any other skill. Let go of focusing on the results for now, and focus on finding what you enjoy. This is all about having a great time and expressing yourself in some way.
Appreciate the art of others as appreciation can be a large force in inspiration. Google Image general terms for art you might like, as general as “beautiful art” or as specific as “trippy AF art.” Scroll through and notice colors you like, subjects that make you smile, and note any ideas you get while doing so. (And, sometimes idea-generating is often is best when stoned, compared to working on fine details of a masterpiece.)
7 Creative Ideas for What to Do When High
1. Finger Paint: Get ready to make a mess, because finger painting isn’t just for kids anymore! Watch a few tutorials and think up an idea to try, or just dive right in and do as you please. Anything goes.
2. Coloring: Another one that’s great for all ages. Coloring books for adults have become wildly popular in recent years as people have started to realize that it’s a fun way to relax your mind and engage in creativity.
3. YouTube Drawing Tutorial: Who needs a drawing class that won’t allow cannabis use when there’s YouTube! Find a tutorial that you’re interested in and get to making. Maybe even invite your friends over for a session?
4. Writing Prompts: Sometimes thinking of what to write about is the biggest block to getting creative with words. Find a writing prompt on the internet that you’re into, and delve deep onto whatever idea you’ve chosen.
5. Cook a Delicious Meal: You deserve a home-cooked meal! Get creative with ingredients, maybe even make up a new recipe. Decide what you’ll do in advance, then wing the fine details.
6. Sing (Even if You Suck): There’s this myth around singing—like you shouldn’t do it if you’re not any good—but that’s nonsense. Sing your heart out, not caring what you sound like but just enjoying the feeling of expression.
For your creative mission, we recommend asking your Have a Heart budtender for the perfect strain as you don’t want to choose a bud that’s going to get you couch-locked. Enjoy!