Listening to music after partaking in cannabis is an experience like nothing else. Nuanced sounds and lyrics can take a whole new form, becoming stunning or revelatory. And because it’s such a varied experience, choosing what to listen to when high can be a challenge – but a very enjoyable one.
The tunes you choose whilst stoned can be used to enhance the mood you’d like to feel during a session, like pairing energetic party music and a sativa with house cleaning. Or, maybe you’re going through something in life and want to use cannabis and music to help yourself process it; choosing songs you relate to, and maybe even busting out a journal or getting reflective in another way.
Music and cannabis are a powerful duo that can be used for different experiences; but today, we’re here to help you have a specifically mind-blowing experience. The list ahead aims to make you go “whoa.” Sometimes it’s a sensory whoa, with rich and layered sounds that you can get lost in. Other times, the lyrics will make you think or feel in an unexpected way; creating perspective, making you laugh, or just by being astoundingly random.
Listen To These Tunes for a Mind-Blowing Stoney Experience
Are you ready to go whoa? We even put our list on a YouTube so you just press ‘play,’ sit back, and see where it takes you. Pull up a seat and a bong, then have a nice ride…
1. Phantogram, When I’m Small: I dare you to get through this song without moving. This might be a song about feeling small, but the meaning of the lyrics is delightfully contrasted with the booming power that’s projected in the song. She might be saying someone else has got their hands on the button now, but you get the feeling she’s the one pulling the strings.
2. Alt-j, Tessellate: Another one with vibes you’ll have a hard time not grooving to, this song takes the listener through a rich tapestry of sounds that bounce off of one another; resulting in a song that plays with your heartstrings even as you wonder what the heck it’s about.
3. Ween, The Mollusk: This lovely song takes you on a beachy journey, traveling through the world from the view of a mollusk; the free-living life of a gooey invertebrate. If just listening to the first three seconds doesn’t make you go whoa, then picturing the wandering eye of the mollusk ought to do ‘er.
4. Beck, WOW: The name might say it all, but I’ll use a few lyrics to help elaborate… This dazzling song’s like a tidal wave, it’ll take you on a getaway. Wondering if your demons know right from wrong, then shrugging it off because it’s irrelevant. (Elephant in the room goes boom.) It reminds you to look around, and not to forget where you came from; leaving you in the presence of just another perfect night.
5. K-os, Heaven Only Knows: This gem from the wildly underrated K-os wonders about the meaning of life and philosophizes about where it’s all going, done with a beat that keeps you paying attention with both body and mind. From karma to reincarnation, to telekinesis and the downfall of Babylon – this song will make you think.
6. Atmosphere, The Waitress: Here’s another conscious hip-hop tune to celebrate the brilliant storytelling of Atmosphere. There’s so many to choose from, but this song takes you through the relationship of a homeless man and a waitress at a cafe that he frequents. Listen for the realization at the end, where this already crazy-powerful song takes on a whole new meaning. Whoa.
7. Led Zeppelin, Fool in the Rain: We’ve got another surprise lined up for you with this pick. You might think that you know this song, that it’s obviously a song of rejection and being stood up. But listen again, have you ever caught the twist?
8. Frou Frou, Let Go: Now that you’ve found hope where there was once loss, take a journey back to the emotional state of the early aughts. Do as the lyrics say, and let go – even if this isn’t your usual kind of jam. Let yourself get swept up in the multi-faceted sounds and the poignancy of the lyrics.
9. Jefferson Airplane, White Rabbit: Tell ‘em a hookah-smoking caterpillar has given you the call, and listen up for a wild ride down the rabbit hole.
10. Sublime, Waiting for my Ruca: There’s certainly more obvious Sublime choices for a stoney music list than this tune, but it’s our favorite for the category of mind-blowing; articulating just why it’s so moving was proving a challenge, but the top reviewer of the video said it all, “They said it was impossible to be happy and sad at the same time. Bradley found a way.”
11. Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, Next Episode: While this list aims to avoid the obvious songs associated with cannabis, it seems wrong to leave out this one out. So shake off the highs and lows of the musical journey you’ve just been through, and remember to turn it up this classic in time for the “smoke weed every day” finale.
Enjoy Your Canna-fueled Musical Adventure?
We hope we’ve helped contribute to a truly mind-blowing smoke sesh, one that made you “whoa,” and one that helps you know what to listen to while high for many experiences to come – because if you’re anything like us, listening to these songs has only made you crave more of them. And before you get back to jamming, remember to swing by one of our shops to stock up on a mind-blowing strain or two.