There’s a lot to love about cannabis. It’s a medical marvel, sensory enhancer, and perspective flipper – and that last one may be the reason why TV is so funny when stoned (and why you need a perfect show to watch while high). A big reason that cannabis makes people laugh so much is that they are seeing things in a different way, an experience that can lead to an “ah-ha!” sort of laughter.
But what happens, physically, when cannabis is making us chuckle? Scientists don’t fully understand laughter (or cannabis, for that matter), but they do know that humor is processed in the frontal cortex; which is also the area of the brain that’s stimulated when one partakes in cannabis.
Looking for Show to Watch While High? Start Here!
No matter what the reason behind it is, watching a funny show while high is a delightful experience. So pull up your bong or vaporizer, grab the remote, and dive right in.
1. Broad City: Anyone else buy a PAX after seeing Ilana and Abbi cruising through NYC sippin’ on flower with the greatest of ease? This show treats cannabis as a dear friend and plot advancer, a force in the show’s zany hijinks of hilarity. But this list makes tons of “funny TV show” lists that have nothing to do with herb, which makes sense given it’s got Amy Poehler rocking behind-the-scenes (and in one of the many awesome cameos). It’s a hilarious show to watch while high!
2. Freaks and Geeks: This show centers around a “good girl,” who’s changing her focus and getting interested in hanging with the kids who hang out under the bleachers. You’ll fall in love with the Weir family and the lovable cast of burnouts, but don’t get too attached because there’s only one season – people just don’t know what’s good.
3. Love: Like #2, this is another laugh-filled keeper from the mind of Judd Apatow, again featuring the collision between nerds and the cool kids. This time it’s around odd couple Gus and Mickey, whose similarities end at having Disney character names but who vibe nonetheless. Fave cannabis moment has to be Mickey teaching Gus the difference between sativa and indica, “in-da-couch.”
4. Grace and Frankie: Lily Tomlin, are you even capable of doing wrong? Her powers combined with those of Jane Fonda result in a comedy that makes one’s “twilight years” look like a damn good time. Tomlin as Frankie is the stoner grandmother we all wish we had, doing j’s as she pleases whilst also being insightful and hilarious.
5. Community: Only this show could handle losing half their cast and still rocking it for several more seasons. All of the cast holds their own – when Chevy Chase is your weak link, you’re in good shape – but the bromance between Abed and Troy is one for the ages. (I strongly recommend you watch the video in that linked article, you’re welcome.)
6. Parks and Rec: I don’t know how this 30-minute sitcom managed to be the funniest thing ever to grace television while also having an immense amount of heart and soul poured into each character. It truly boggles the mind. Cannabis is only featured as a potential community garden intruder, but here’s what the gang is like when sauced. Treat yo’ self!
7. Disjointed: Canned laughter and old-timey stoner stereotypes taint this show about a California dispensary, but it manages to be a stoney good time anyways – especially the animated portions! Trippy, man. The characters are also totally lovable, especially the security guard who suffers PTSD as a veteran; discovering how cannabis can powerfully help his symptoms after winding up in the cannabis industry.
8. You’re the Worst: Speaking of PTSD and cannabis, if you don’t cry when Edgar on this show discovers the same thing – you’re a freakin’ robot. And despite its title, You’re the Worst is actually the best. The other three lead characters may be wildly flawed, but they’re also witty and human, cracking you up while also making you feel like a well-adjusted adult. Bonus.
9. Friends: An eye roll “low,” as Carl Sagan once described being not-high, may transform to a full hearty belly laugh after some good herb – and Friends is a great place to take advantage of this fact. Lean into the ‘90s and watch the antics of life before cell phones. Seen ‘em all and want a good one to start? You’re looking for Season 1, Episode 15; “The One with the Stoned Guy.”
10. Twin Peaks: Okay, “funny” isn’t one of the top words used to describe this freaky 90s gem, but rest assured that you will laugh nonetheless – it’s more of a, “What in the effing world is happening” kind of laugh, but it’ll suck you right in — especially if you watch this show while high. (It’d be wise to have some cherry pie on hand to accommodate highly-probable munchie cravings.)
Wherever you start on this list, we’ll be here for you to stock up on fuel for your mission of hilarity. Stop by to grab your favorites, and maybe even a couple more show recommendations from your friendly budtender.